Within the month of October our students took part in the following activities:-
- All students in Years 9, 10 & 11 attended Mental Health Workshops and the performances showed that everyone and anyone can be affected by mental health and they identified the different ways to support friends who maybe going through a difficult time. The performance also highlighted the importance of sharing information regarding any concerns with an adult.
- Our ex-student Bilal Khan is touring with the Rifco Theatre and gave a mesmerizing performance in a play called “Dishoom!” at the Queens Theatre. It is a major performance and he is now touring in Oldham, Warwick and Derby. Well done Bilal!
- We held our Year 6 Open Evening which had an immense turnout and the feedback from parents was lovely. Our various Curriculum departments produced fantastic displays for the parents
- Our Year 7/8/9 students generously contributed food for the Redbridge Foodbank. The Redbridge Foodbank is a project for the prevention or relief of poverty in Redbridge and surrounding areas, primarily by the provision of food, also including related additional services and assistance aiming to break the cycle of poverty
- The Redbridge Young Laureates Poetry Bus came to Loxford and spent time with a group of Year 7s and Year 9s writing poetry
- A pre-audition meeting was held for students in Years 7-10 who were interested in auditioning for the school play “High School Musical”
- On 10th October it was World Mental Health Day and we held drop-in sessions for both students and staff with nice relaxing music, yoga moves and mindfulness maltesers and mindfulness colouring
- We hosted a delegation of staff members and students visiting us from our partner school, The Salwan Public School, India. The students attended various lessons in school and as a whole group, with some of our Year 13 students, went on a trip to the Emirates Air Line Cable Car, Royal Observatory, Southwark Cathedral and Borough Market
- Activities were held at lunch by the PE department for “Show Racism The Red Card”
- For the parents and students of Year 12 we held a “Welcome to the Sixth Form” evening. At this event it was explained how the Sixth Form at Loxford works, an overview was given of the kinds of activities the students would be engaged in, UCAS applications, preparation for university, apprenticeship and employment
- Year 7 received talks from our Safer Schools Officer PC Sher regarding the dangers of online safety. Students discussed the use of the internet for positive activities and also the impact of what can happen when social media usage goes wrong. Students also had the opportunity to speak with our Safer Transport Officer, where they discussed how to ensure safety when travelling on the buses and trains. Students had a wide range of questions and all the students enjoyed the talks.
We visited the following places:-
- As part of the Sixth Form Induction, all Year 12s attended a road safety event called “Safe Drive, Stay Alive” at Cineworld, Ilford. This performance is in partnership with the Metropolitan Police and Transport for London. The performance warns students about the dangers of driving and the impact of using mobile phones to text or call friends. Students were able to meet people who have been affected by car accidents linked to drinking, texting and careless driving.
- Year 11 Drama students visited the Fortune Theatre, London to see a performance of “The Woman in Black”. This is part of their GCSE Drama course. The play will be the focus of Section B in their written exam in Year 11, where they will analyse what they saw in the live production. There will also be a post-show Q&A session with the cast and creative team
- Our Year 10 Art students visited Kew Gardens to collect primary source material for their coursework as part of their GCSE – Natural & Mechanical forms
- Our Year 10 Textiles students went on a trip to Alexandra Palace to collect primary source material for their coursework as part of their GCSE.
- The Careers Department arranged a trip for Year 11 & Year 13 students to attend the “What Career Live?” event at Olympia. This event offered a unique opportunity to discover what options are available for school levers, including university, apprenticeships, sponsorship and on-the-job training. The students were able to network with big name recruiters such as Accenture for IT, Microsoft, Deloitte, AON and Rolls Royce
- Our Year 13 Geography students attended a 4 day coursework trip to London (Islington & Stratford) The purpose of the trip was to help them complete their coursework study
Loxford took part in many sporting fixtures:-
- Year 8 netball defeated Wanstead 12-1
- Year 7 boys played their first football match vs Isaac Newton
- Year 7 interform was held and 7D won the boys football and 7R won the girls handball
- Year 9 football Hosted Beal in a league match.
- Year 10 football played Ilford County at Home.
- Year 8 boys football drew away to Isaac Newton 2-2